Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday Lunch

I have just had the best day… a perfect Sunday! I went to the community church in Tara this morning. My class RE teacher is the pastor there and his wife is the school chaplain. One of my students and his family was there too. The service was much more like church at home and the people were absolutely lovely. I was invited to join the Bible study for my time in Tara and met a couple younger women who I might be able to spend some time with out here. The pastor and his wife (John and Daphne) invited me out to their farm for lunch… so I drove 35kms to their property. Wow, their home was so beautiful!

The house was large and so homey with a wood fireplace and a lovely country smell. French doors led out to the back veranda. Daphne took me out there when we arrived and I literally gasped. The veranda was very large with a timber floor and huge mosquito screens all the way around the edge. Kind of like a conservatory I guess, just with screens instead of glass windows. Huge beautiful red lilies were growing in pots around the veranda and they had lounges and tables set up outside; perfect outdoor living. Outside in the yard, big trees shaded the yard and little annual flowers brightened up the garden. Past the house yard you could see the paddocks, some with ripening wheat and some freshly ploughed dirt. A cool breeze was coming through the screens and I felt so at peace. It was amazing! Sometime I don’t think the country out here is very pretty, but if I lived somewhere like this, I would want a house like that!

Anyway, they fed me a lovely country Sunday lunch with sticky date pudding and home made ice-cream for dessert… so good! I talked with Daphne about all sorts of things and I just felt really encouraged spending time with Christian people. We played a board game until mid afternoon and John signed me up to play violin in church for the rest of my time here. As I drove back to Tara from their farm, I couldn’t help but thank God for an awesome day and wonderful new friends!
Sadly I don't have any photos, because I forgot to put the battery back in my camera before I left for church this morning!

Yesterday (Saturday), Erin and I drove into Dalby for a change of scenery and grocery shopping. We wandered around the shops for a while and checked out some of the old buildings in the main part of Dalby. It was so cold that we didn’t want to be outside for too long though! We ate Asian food for lunch (cause you can’t get it in Tara) and then did the groceries and came back.

Super flooded Tara sign and road...

Erin and I eating Asian food in Dalby... I don't look that happy... but... I was...

Amazing old church...

The road was flooded in a couple spots because of all the rain. Pretty awesome… for some reason I love love love driving through the water over the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment