Sunday, October 10, 2010

Meandarra Adventure

So today was Sunday. I decided to attend church. In Tara there are 3 churches; a Catholic church, a Community (AOG) church and an Anglican church. I turned up at the Anglican Church at 8:30am as advertised on the sign out the front. I walked in to find that the service was almost over. I snuck into the back pew and was excitedly greeted by the congregation after the service. They informed me that when a priest is visiting (as he was this weekend), they have the service at 7:30am instead. There were only about 15 people there… sad really that so few in Tara go to church… but maybe they attend the other two churches. They took me off to the church hall and fed me morning tea at 9:00am.

I was invited to go with them to another town further west for the church service there, and seeing as I only made it for the last 5 mins of the one in Tara, I agreed to go along. I rode with a lovely couple, Jill and Mustafa, in their car to Meandarra. It was about a 45min drive along long straight roads. There has been so much rain here that water is just sitting in the paddocks and ditches and in the fields among the wheat. We drove through two flooded parts of road, my excitement for the day, and passed paddocks full of sheep with lambs and paddocks full of prickly pears and salt bush. The wildflowers in the fields are so lovely at the moment; purple, blue and yellow.

Driving through the flooded roads...

Meandarra was even smaller than Tara. Church was an interesting experience for me, having never attended a traditional type Anglican service, but I enjoyed being with Christian people again. After church the Meandarra ladies fed us lunch. We tried to drop into the Meandarra ANZAC Memorial Museum to take a look, but it had a $5 admission fee. I took pictures through the front door. J Jill and Mustafa dropped me back in Tara around 1:30pm.

When I got home from my church expedition, I found Erin hanging her bed sheets in the bathroom over the shower curtain rail. She was drying them with the help of the bathroom heater and fan. I laughed. J
It started raining again in the afternoon, so I sat down and planned the start of my week at school. Right now I’m ready for a good long sleep before I start on internship week 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment